The focus of this studio is space planning and organization.
The students will be required to
- understand the users and stakeholders
- to respond to an actual site and its context
- to respond to climate
- identify and choose an appropriate structural system
We shall be studying prototypical 'Pol houses' to understand and appreciate the traditional vernacular house and utilize and incorporate its wisdom in the new design.
The task is to design a residence for a family including five people.
• The site is located in the pols of the old city of Ahmedabad.
• The site is a pol house in a completely dilapidated and broken state.
• Some elements such as windows, doors, wooden columns, beams, joists, staircase etc. have been salvaged.
These salvaged elements are supposed to be reused in the new design.
• The task will be to design a residence for this family in the given site keeping in mind the individual needs of the
family members while responding to the site context and the climatic conditions.
• The students will have to make an over all design which reuses the salvaged elements from the old structure,
propose a structural system and plan the interior spaces along with furniture layouts.